People are becoming increasingly aware of the origin of their food and how it was produced. A clear division between Grass-fed and Grain-fed Beef is gaining momentum with Grass-fed Beef being the Free-range and natural option. Grass-fed cattle produce beef with real flavour that you can taste!
Cattle are designed to feed on a diet of grass and Grass-fed Beef has many health benefits when compared to Grain-fed/Feedlotted Beef. Our cattle are grown to our desired live weight on a diet of Rye Grass and Clover based pastures and supplementary hay/silage (cut on our own properties)
Below is a list of health benefits associated with consuming Grass-fed Beef:
- Omega 3 – Grass-fed beef contains higher levels of omega 3 . The recommended omega 6- omega 3 ratios should be less than 4:1. Grass-fed beef has a ratio around 3:1 whereas Grain-fed beef can have ratios higher than 20:1. Not only are these fatty acids important to our health they have to be consumed in the correct ratios, outside these ratios can cause health problems.
- Grass-fed beef is rich in fats proven to be health-enhancing but low in fats linked to ill-health.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) – Grass-fed cattle contain 2 to 3 times the level of CLA than Grain-fed cattle. CLA has many health benefits including reducing the onset of diabetes.
- B-carotene (pro-vitamin A) – Grass-fed cattle have a carcass fat which appears more yellow compared to the bright white fat of grain-fed beef. This colour is due to pigments from the grass and is associated with a healthier fatty acid profile and a higher content of antioxidants. Grass-fed Beef contains a significantly higher level of B-carotene than Grain-fed Beef.
- B-carotene is a critical fat-soluble vitamin which is specifically responsible for maintaining the surface lining of the eyes, respiratory, intestinal and urinal tracts. Vitamin A also helps your immune system supporting the function and production of white blood cells.
- Vitamin E – This is a powerful antioxidant which can protect the cells against the effects of free radicals such as cancer and cardiovascular disease. Grass-fed beef has up to 3 times the Vitamin E than Grain-fed Beef.
With Grass-fed beef you can enjoy your meal knowing that it is not only great for your health but that the cattle have had a happy life free to graze pasture and seek shelter the way nature intended!
Place your online order here.